4 Cocktails Using Fresh AVA Byte Ingredients
A well-made cocktail is the way to win the party. Your guests will be raving about your skills behind the bar. The know-how is key, but to really make the best drinks, you'll need fresh ingredients.
Luckily, with your AVA Byte, you can grow fresh mint, basil, and even edible flowers, right on your countertop.
Here are a few of our personal favourite recipes, and please feel free to let us know when we should arrive for the party.
The Real Mojito - Rum Cocktail
- 10 fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 lime, cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons of white sugar
- 1 cup ice cubes
- 1 1/2 fluid ounces white rum
- 1/2 cup club soda
- Put the mint leaves and a lime wedge into a glass.
- Use a muddler or handle of a wooden spoon to release some of the oils and juice.
- Add a couple more lime wedges and the sugar and mix a little more.
- Fill the glass almost to the top with ice and then the rum over the top.
- Top off with the club soda, stir and garnish with a piece of lime.
Watermelon Fro-sé - Rosé Wine slushy
- 1 bottle rosé wine
- 1 pound cubed and seeded watermelon
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 6 fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- Pour wine into ice cube trays and freeze.
- Line a baking sheet with baking paper and spread out watermelon cubes so they're not touching.
- Freeze until firm (for at least 2 hours).
- Transfer to a zip-lock bag and return to the freezer.
- Combine water and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir until sugar dissolves.
- Add basil to the sugar mix and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let steep for 15 minutes.
- Strain syrup into a jar with a lid. Discard the basil leaves and put the jar in the fridge to cool.
- Place rosé ice cubes, frozen watermelon, chilled syrup, and lime juice in a large blender, blend until smooth.
- Invite Team AVA to come to your party.
Mint Julep - Sugar + Whiskey cocktail
- 8-10 mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon simple syrup
- 2 1/2 fluid ounces bourbon whiskey
- crushed ice
- 1 sprig of fresh mint for garnish
- Chill the julep cup in the freezer for 5-10 minutes
- Put the mint leaves and syrup in the chilled cup.
- Mash together with a muddler (or small wooden spoon)
- Pour whiskey and half a cup of crushed ice
- Stir and top with remaining ice
- Add fresh mint to the top for decoration
Lavender Pink Lemonade - Refreshing Summer Mocktail
- 1 tray of ice cubes
- 1/4 cup dried lavender
- 2 cups boiling water
- 3/4 cups white sugar
- Juice of 8 lemons
- 5 cups cold water
- Place ice cubes into a large pitcher
- Put the lavender into a bowl and pour boiling water over it.
- Allow steeping for 10 minutes.
- Strain the lavender water and pour into the pitcher.
- Squeeze the lemon juice into the pitcher and add cold water.
- Pour into tall glasses and enjoy.